The aim of the programme is to enable learners to develop the knowledge, skills and competence to work in a retail environment, providing effective customer service and retail selling, performing a range of payment transactions and engaging in stock control activities. The programme also provides learners with recognised certification, enabling them to progress on to further education and
training at a higher level.
The Athy Training Centre is situated on Woodstock Street.
Coming from the Dublin Road, go through the town, over the Barrow Bridge, take a right at ‘Mirans’ pet shop and continue up Woodstock Street for approximately 1km. The Centre is on the left hand side of the road directly before the Fire Station.
This 34 week course provides training that will lead to a QQI Level 4 Major Award in Retail Skills 4M1998.
There are 8 modules in total:
- Information Technology Skills
- Retail Sales Techniques
- Stock Control
- Retail Payment Procedures
- Customer Service
- Work Experience
Local Training Initiatives are targeted primarily to people under 35 years of age, with no formal qualifications or incomplete secondary level qualifications (e.g. less than five D’s in the Leaving Certificate).
Applicants should also have a keen interest in working in the retail area.
Past trainees have said they –
- Improved their job prospects
- Learned retail, gardening and computer skills
- Got recognised FETAC/QQI certification
- Gained confidence in interview
- Formed lasting friendships
- Enjoyed the learning environment
If you are in receipt of a social welfare payment
- You can register at the Obair office on Duke Street, Athy (059 8632685)
- You can register at your local DSP Employment Services/Intreo office.
- If you are not in receipt of a social welfare payment you will need to call into your local DSP Employment Services/Intreo office to register.
- You will be contacted to attend a Open Day in the centre to inform you about the course and assess your suitability for the course.
- If successful you will be called to begin the course.
Obair (Athy) on 059 8632685
DSP Employment Services/ Intreo office (Carlow, Newbridge, Portlaoise)
For more information
Please contact Josephine or Bernie Tel: 059 8640945