For the latest information for coming to Ireland from Ukraine, please visit the website of the Citizens Information Service by clicking HERE. – Page Edited 04 May 2022

Coming to Ireland from Ukraine


This page has information for people who have family in Ukraine, or for people in Ukraine who plan to travel to Ireland, or have recently arrived here.

You should go to a reception hub in the airport or port when you arrive. Otherwise, you should go to a Ukraine Support Centre. These centres are currently in Dublin city and Cork city but more are being opened. You will be met there by Government officials. After you give your details, you will get the documents you need to show that you can stay in Ireland. They can also help you to get somewhere to stay and help you with applying for social welfare (financial help).

We will add more information to this page as it becomes available.

You can use Google Translate to read this page in Ukrainian or another language (please note that this uses machine translation and may not be a fully accurate translation of the page).


Citizens of Ukraine do not need a visa to travel to Ireland. You also do not need proof that you have a COVID-19 vaccine, and you do not need to take a COVID-19 test before you arrive.

If you do not have a current passport, you can use another form of identification to travel to Ireland (for example, national ID card, expired passport or birth certificate). The Irish Government has asked airlines to accept these documents.

If you are travelling with family members who are not Ukrainian citizens, they may need a visa to come to Ireland.

You can read frequently asked questions from the Irish immigration authority, called Immigration Service Delivery (ISD), for visa and immigration information.

The Irish Refugee Council also has information on coming to Ireland in Ukrainian.

Immigration and international protection

When you arrive in Ireland, you should go to the reception hub. Currently there are reception hubs at Dublin Airport. Ukraine Support Centres have also been opened in Dublin and Cork (see ‘Ukraine Support Centres’ below).

You will give your details and you will get a letter confirming that you have residence in Ireland under the Temporary Protection Directive from the immigration officer in Dublin Airport. Staff can also help you to get somewhere to stay if you need it, and help you to access financial support (money).

Temporary Protection Directive

The EU, including Ireland, is using the Temporary Protection Directive. This means that you are allowed to work and access services and benefits without making an application for international protection (refugee status). This applies to:

  • Ukrainian citizens who lived in Ukraine before 24 February 2022
  • People who had refugee status (or another type of international protection) in Ukraine
  • Stateless people who lived in Ukraine before 24 February 2022
  • Family members of the people above if they were living in Ukraine before 24 February 2022

It also applies to people who had a permanent Ukrainian residence permit who lived in Ukraine before 24 February 2022, and who cannot safely return to their countries.

You will get permission to live in Ireland for one year under the Temporary Protection Directive. Your permission may be extended after that. You will get a letter confirming that you have residence in Ireland under the Directive from the immigration officer in Dublin Airport.

If you did not get a permission letter at the airport, you should go to a Ukraine Support Centre.

The following organisations have further information in English, Ukrainian and Russian:

Registration and Irish Residence Permits

All citizens from outside the EU/EEA who are 16 or over must register and get an Irish Residence Permit. Instructions on how to do this will be available soon.

Ukraine Support Centres

You can get information and help at a Ukraine Support Centre. The centres are currently available in Cork and Dublin and more centres will be added.

  • Dublin (map): Dublin 8 Intreo Centre, Guild Building, Cork Street, Dublin 8, D08 XH90
  • Cork (map): Cork City PSC and PPSN Centre, Department of Social Protection, Hanover Street, Cork, T12 PX62

At a centre, you can get information about social welfare, immigration and housing. If you did not receive your temporary permission letter when you entered Ireland, you can get this letter at a Ukraine Support Centre.

Representatives from organisations that give information and advice, including the Citizens Information Service, are available. Information is available in Ukrainian.

Ukraine Support Centres are open from 9.15 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.

If you cannot go a centre, you can go to a local Intreo office instead.

Social welfare

You can apply for social welfare (financial support) when you arrive in Ireland from Ukraine. You need to get a PPS number (an Irish social security number). You can get information about how to apply for a PPS number at the reception centre when you arrive in Dublin Airport.

If you are in Ireland already, you should go to a Ukraine Support Centre if you are in Cork or Dublin, or go to your local Intreo centre or branch office. You should not apply online for your PPS number.

The Irish Government has published social welfare information for people arriving from Ukraine under the Temporary Protection Directive. This information is also available in Ukrainian and in Russian.

If you have children, you can get Child Benefit. This is a monthly payment paid to the parents or guardians of children aged under 16. It is also paid for children aged 16 and 17 in full-time education. You do not have to have proof that your 16 and 17 year old children are in full-time education for the first 2 months after you arrive in Ireland.


You can get help with getting somewhere to stay if you need it at the reception centre at Dublin Airport or Rosslare Port. You can also go to a Ukraine Support Centre if you are in Cork or Dublin.

If you are already in Ireland and you have nowhere to stay, you can email the International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) at or visit a Ukraine Support Centre.


Health services in Ireland are delivered by the Health Service Executive (HSE). The HSE is Ireland’s public healthcare service.

You can get the same public healthcare services as people who live in Ireland.

You can also apply for a medical card. You need a medical card to get some healthcare services for free and get medicines at a reduced price. You must get a PPS number first.

If you don’t have a PPS number, you should go to a Ukraine Support Centre.

Some of the health services you can get include:

If you do not speak English, you can ask for an interpreter.

You can get information about health care services in Ireland from the HSE website. You can also read about the Irish health system in Ukrainian (pdf) and in Russian (pdf).

Working in Ireland

You have the right to work in Ireland when you have your permission letter confirming that you have been granted Temporary Protection under the EU Directive. You can also work for yourself (self-employment) and you can access vocational training in Ireland.


The Tusla Education Support Service can help you find a school for your children.

Read about how to enrol your children in:

School transport

School transport services is available to Ukrainian students on the same basis that it is available to children in Ireland. There will be no charge for this where it is available. Further details will be available soon. Contact or call 057 932 5467 for more information about school transport.

Third level education

Irish third level students returning from Ukraine will be given places to continue their education.

Bringing your pets to Ireland

There are special arrangements in place for bringing pets from Ukraine. This means you may be able to bring your pets even if they are missing documentation or do not satisfy the usual rules for entering Ireland. The special arrangements only apply if you are travelling with the pet.

If you are bringing pets, you should still bring as much information as you can about your pet, for example, information on vaccinations, microchip and worming. You

You should contact the Department of Agriculture before you arrive by email:

These special arrangements also apply to EU citizens travelling from Russia.

You can read about the current arrangements in Ukrainian and Russian.

I want to help

You can pledge accommodation on the Irish Red Cross website. You can pledge a spare room in your home or a vacant property. After you leave your details, someone from the Irish Red Cross will contact you to get further details. The Irish Red Cross is working with the Irish Government to match people who have accommodation to offer, with refugees who have come to Ireland.

If you speak Ukrainian and want to help, you can contact the International Protection Accommodation Service.

NASC Migrant and Refugee Rights has a community sponsorship programme that helps people to support refugee families in their local areas.

Read about how people and businesses can help on

Further information

The following organisations can give you more advice.

Irish Refugee Council

37 Killarney Street
Dublin 1

Tel: (01) 764 5854
Fax: (01) 672 5927

Nasc Migrant and Refugee Rights

34 Paul Street
T12 W14H

Tel: 021 427 3594

Immigrant Council of Ireland

2 St Andrew Street
Dublin 2

Opening Hours: Information and Referral Service: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 10am – 1pm
Tel: +353 (0)1 674 0200
Fax: +353 (0)1 645 8059


Central Buildings

Central Buildings
51A O’Connell Street

Tel: 061 310 328

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)

102 Pembroke Road
Dublin 4

Tel: +353 (0)1 631 4510


Page edited: 04th May 2022