Get Support to Start your Business – (c)

Get support to start your business

From Department of Social Protection

Published on 

Last updated on 

If you are new to the world of self-employment or are looking to build your business from scratch, Intreo is a great place to start. Intreo (the Public Employment Services) offers you support and financial advice and will help to point you in the right direction.

Getting your business started

Back to Work Enterprise Allowance

The Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA) is available to help you to become self-employed or start your own new business if you are on certain social welfare payments.

If you are getting the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) and you want to access the this scheme, you can do this by transferring to Jobseeker’s Allowance.

The Back to Work Enterprise Allowance allows you to keep the following portion of your current social welfare payment for 2 years:

  • 100% for the first year
  • 75% for the second year

Short-Term Enterprise Allowance

The Short-Term Enterprise Allowance (STEA) supports you if you have lost your job and want to start your own business. This support is available to COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) recipients who transfer to a Jobseeker’s Benefit payment.

The Short-Term Enterprise Allowance is paid instead of your Jobseeker’s Benefit for a maximum of 9 months. It ends when your entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit ends (that is, at either 6 or 9 months).

Enterprise Support Grant

The Enterprise Support Grant (ESG) provides financial support for people who have set up a new business and are currently receiving income support under Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA) or Short-Term Enterprise Allowance (STEA).

The grant helps with the costs incurred when setting up a new business.

Local Development Company

Your Local Development Company (LDC) can also offer support and advice in starting a business, including mentoring.

Intreo supports for the self-employed

Other government resources, information and supports

Contact your local Intreo for advice

You can find out more information by contacting your local Intreo Centre.

In line with public health guidelines we suggest that you make contact by email or telephone to minimise visits to Intreo Centres.

Translate »