Keep Financial Supports while working – (c)

Keep financial supports while working

From Department of Social Protection

Published on 

Last updated on 

Going back to work, either full-time or part-time does not always mean giving up all your income supports. Some income supports may continue, and others may become available once you start working.

This can apply to either full-time or part-time work or if you decided to increase your current working hours.

Families with working parents can also qualify for supports when working depending on their individual circumstances and income.

If you are thinking of starting your own business, there are income supports available to you while you grow your business.

If you have a disability and want to start work, or continue work, there are a range of supports available to you. There are also supports available to your employer to make your workplace suitable and supportive.

Intreo (the Irish Public Employment Services) provide advice on income supports and services.

Employment Supports

There are a number of financial supports available when moving to full-time or part-time work.

Jobseeker’s Benefit

If you are working part-time (up to 3 days) but are available to work full-time, you may be entitled to Jobseeker’s Benefit.

Short-Time Work Support

Short-Time Work Support is a form of Jobseeker’s Benefit and is an income support payment for people who have been temporarily placed on a shorter working week by their employer.

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance is a means-tested payment and you must be habitually resident in Ireland. If you start part-time or casual work (up to 3 days) you may still be entitled to some of your jobseekers payment.

There are a number of schemes under Jobseeker’s Allowance that you may be eligible to apply for. Click on the below links for further information:

Voluntary Work Option

The Voluntary Work Option allows jobseekers to work in the voluntary sector while retaining certain financial supports.

Part-Time Job Incentive Scheme

If you have been long-term unemployed and start working part-time, up to 24 hours per week you can apply for the Part-Time Job Incentive Scheme.

Family Supports

There are a number of financial supports available for families with a working parent or parents.

Working Family Payment

Working Family Payment offers financial support to families with children. The rate of the payment will depend on weekly average family income, and the number of child dependents in the family.

Back to Work Family Dividend

Back to Work Family Dividend is a weekly payment to help people with children, as they move from certain social welfare payments to work. It can provide a weekly payment for up to two years, if you qualify. You may get this payment along with the Working Family Payment, if you qualify for both.

One-Parent Family Payment

One-Parent Family Payment is a weekly means-tested payment for parents who are not cohabiting, and whose youngest child is under 7 years of age.

Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment

Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment is a weekly means-tested payment that helps a parent/guardian go back to work. You may qualify for this payment if you do not live with a spouse, civil partner or cohabitant and your youngest child is between 7 and 14 years of age.

Self-Employment Supports

Other Supports

Carer’s Allowance

If you are providing full-time care for a person who needs support because of age, disability or illness (including mental illness) you may qualify for Carer’s Allowance. You can work (including self-employment), or take part in a training or an education course for up to 18.5 hours a week.

Additional DSP Supports

Related Supports

Contact your local Intreo for advice

You can find out more information by contacting your local Intreo Centre.

In line with public health guidelines we suggest that you make contact by email or telephone to minimise visits to Intreo Centres.

Translate »